Welcome to the Sisbro web site! Sisbro Studios was founded in 2001 by the sister/brother creative team of Laura Sams and Robert Sams, whose dream was to create high-quality films, books, educational media and curriculum that help people discover the natural world. Laura and Rob noticed a real need for better family and children's programming, so they set out to create stories so clever, funny, beautiful and catchy that people can't help but share them again and again. Their work has been honored with over 50 international awards, including a Wildscreen Panda Award (which is often called the "Green Oscars"), a KIDS FIRST! Best of the Year Award, a National Parenting Publications (NAPPA) Gold Award, a Special Jury Award at the International Wildlife Film Festival and many more. They have also performed live author/filmmaker visits in venues from the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in D.C. to the Chicago Field Museum to international schools in Dubai, UAE.
Can you hire Sisbro? Yes! We often do freelance work, from script writing & music composition to filmmaking & photography to teaching & curriculum development. Examples of previous work include:
- music composition for science-themed topics & films (such as some meerkat-themed songs written for Animal Planet)
- films for foundations, museums and nature-based organizations (such as the Trash, Compost or Recycle Video for the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry)
- films that adapt books into a screenplay (such as the In the Woods trilogy by Carl R. Sams II Photography)
- photography for independent books (such as Criminal Crafts by Andrews McNeel Publishing)
- curriculum consulting for museums, foundations and exhibit design (such as a shark-based activity packet used by the Save Our Seas Foundation)
- wildlife stock footage
- workshops for kids and teachers
We truly believe our own productions are unique. Certainly a sister and brother working happily together is somewhat unique, but here is what you can expect from a Sisbro production.
Sisbro Studios is dedicated to using nature, art and humor as a springboard for learning. We believe learning is an adventure, through revelation and discovery, and our productions and programs will be known for:
- High-quality images of the natural world
- A sense of humor
- Creative (and we mean creative) approaches
- Attention to learning theory and innovative ways to make our productions avenues for active learning (e.g., through age-appropriate story lines, teacher resource packets, educational assemblies, etc.)
We are honored to be able to share our ideas and talents with you. To prove that we really are a sister and brother, take a look at the photo to the right. If we remember correctly, we lived in Indiana at the time of this picture. Laura is around 13 years old, and Rob is around 11 years old. If you meet us in person now, you'll notice that Laura no longer hairsprays her bangs into an immovable mass, and Robert no longer cinches his pants up quite as high.
Laura Sams (Sis) and Robert Sams (Bro)
Co-owners of Sisbro Studios, LLC